ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:46:48 -0400
Herb,
   It was a "ploy" I used at a 4 C's talk, comparing a list of those terms
with Constance Weaver's minimalist list. (Weaver recommends Hacker, but
doesn't explain how a student is supposed to read the advice without a
shared metalanguage.) The more I got into Weaver's book, the more the
talk evolved into a critique of its all around weaknesses. One problem
is that her book is touted as an approach to grammar, not as a way to
avoid it, which is what it amounts to. (If grammar is harmful, but we
can't wish it away, what's the least we need to have? Something like
that.) For a long time now, energy has been directed at schemes to
learn grammar without real time spent on it and without taxing the
intellect, and these need to be seen as anti-grammar positions.
   I'm not sure where I can post your article so that we would all have
access to it. Anyone have a suggestion? As time goes on, we should
append materials to the ATEG site, but these would be more like working
documents.

Craig>

 Craig,