ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:28:57 -0500
Bob,
   I'm glad you're finding ways in which our understandings overlap. I'll
just respond to the following:

Now, my view might be incorrect, but I'm not quite sure Craig
objects to this point of view because he has evidence it is wrong.
Rather, he objects to it because, he claims, it has relegated instruction
in grammar to a minor part of the curriculum.

   I can see why I may have left the wrong impression on this one. Let me
be clearer. I believe cognitive and functional approaches do a much
better job of describing language. In other words, the evidence points
their way and does so increasingly, including the most recent work in
cognitive science and in brain science. Goldberg seems to feel she (and
fellow researchers) have established a compelling case that even the
most schematic of "rules" arise from usage. "In fact, constructionists
argue that language must be learned from positive input together with
fairly general cognitive abilities since the diversity and complexity
witnessed does not yield to nativist accounts" (2006, p.15). Since
cognitive grammar has grown up under the shadow of generative grammar
in this country, almost anyone seriously involved in the enterprise has
defended the approach as more empirically accurate. You can evaluate
the evidence if you want, but it is not a view based solely on the
desire to see grammar return to the curriculum.

   That said, I'll refer back to a few quotes from Debra Myhill and my
post on whether grammar instruction can help writing. We can't test the
validity of grammar instruction until we come up with a theory that
links them. My point, I guess, would be that those theories already
exist. They connect grammar to meaning and grammar to discourse. They
pay serious attention to how a grammatical form will "construe" the
meaning of an utterance. They both pay attention to the ways in which
grammar participates in discourse. It's not just a matter of teaching
as little as we need to to make sure there aren't "errors."

   Are they true because they are useful? Useful because they are true? If
these approaches give us insight into language that makes us better
readers, writers, teachers, editors, then that, too, is in their favor.

   A few people have very kindly alerted me to articles on language
acquisition I should read. Perhaps I should back off for a week or so
while I get that done. I just want to end with my belief that these
positions are being empirically developed and adjusted accordingly as
the need arises.

Craig

I think there are two key questions we need to think about when we teach