ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:26:31 -0400
Natalie,

By all means, keep the grammar questions coming.  They remain one of the most interesting and important rationales for a list like this.

Good writers have used "their" with singular antecedents for several hundred years.  Semantically the relationship between plural and generic or non-specific is very close, and the boundary between the two tends to be hazy.  This gives rise not just to the "their" problem but also to questions of whether to treat a noun ending in -s as a plural or a singular generic or abstract, like "politics" or "graphics".  Compare

The graphics in this book *is/are brilliant.
Graphics is/*are a demanding profession.

but

The politics in this book ?is/?are brilliant.
Politics is/*are a demanding profession.

His politics is/are why he wasn't appointed to the bench.

But you raise precisely the write question:  how will standardized test writers decide the question.

Herb