ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:47:06 -0400
Edmond,

That's a very clever example.  Right branching is how English normally adds information and expands sentences, and your nesting version shows how messy structure gets for us to comprehend when we don't obey perceptual constraints.  Your discussion of intonation is especially to the point, since intonation levels are used to show things like degree of backgrounding.

If you don't mind, I'll use it with my students and credit you.

Herb