ATEG Archives

December 2004

From:
"Crow, John T" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:58:16 -0500
Johanna,

I had a response in the works when you posted this last missive.  (I guess e-mails can be classified as missives??)  You said a lot of what I wanted to say, but you, as usual, said it more eloquently and in more detail than I ever could.

Whether we like it or not, whether it is logical or illogical, whether it is fair or unfair, people make judgments about other people based on their language.  Case in point:  the following is an excerpt from an Amazon.com review of _Brain Based Learning_ by Eric Jenssen:

"It is an unfortunate tendency of people who review books to use any and every error in a book as an excuse for bashing the book, so I have to stop and make sure that I am not falling into that trap. Yet this book is truly awful: it has, literally, hundreds of grammatical and stylistic errors, and [sic!] there is probably not a page that doesn't have some type of error. Here's just one of the innumerable examples, which contains an error in punctuation and grammar: "The brain sits in a state of stress; and the learner's self-esteem, confidence, and peer acceptance is at stake," (p. 300). . . .  All the errors--which, by the way, a high school freshman should know how to correct--make me wonder about the integrity of Jensen's knowledge of the science of the brain--how careful a scholar is he likely to be, when he shows so little familiarity with standards in scholarship?"

I am reading this book now, and the reviewer is right:  Jensen violates all kinds of rules.  (BTW, he uses a semi-colon + conjunction all over the place, but not for rhetorical effect.  This is the rule as he (or his editor) has internalized it, apparently).  Nevertheless, the text is very readable:  the "errors" do not interfere with his communicative intent at all.  Needless to say, though, he certainly doesn't build his credibility with these idiolectecal eccentricities.

It is fine to have lofty goals and to strive to implement them.  However, it is, in my opinion, sheer folly to dismiss "errors" out of hand because they follow mandates.  Many of these mandates are in place to facilitate the reading process.  Grammar Gestapo dictates such as "Thou shalt not split infinitive" or "Thou shalt not end a sentence with a preposition" or "Thou shalt not use the passive" are suffering the fate they so richly deserve--they are dying out.  However, writers are stigmatized when they fall too far astray of an accepted, if rather loosely defined norm.  I want my students' ideas judged on their merit, without being negatively influenced by writing problems.  Perhaps the day will come when people will stop making judgments about others based on language facility.  Color me skeptical, however . . .

John