ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:08:33 -0500
Ed, Craig, et al.:

To some extent, what we're seeing is exactly the same process that
resulted in Britain (and the U.S.) never having the equivalent of the
French Academe, i.e. a "legislated" grammar of the language. France and
Spain created their academies via a kind of top-down approach:
regardless of what other grammarians thought, if the King liked you, you
won. The British -- and we -- are grammatically Whiggish. Lack of a
legislated grammar isn't necessarily a bad thing, but of course, it does
cause problems in relation to curriculum.

The solution may lie in a more open discussion of the process by which
we work than by arguing from the start over specific terms. We'll be
successful if we can reach consensus, but consensus (as we've seen) will
*never* occur when it appears as if one person's, or one camp's,
definitions and model are being proposed to the exclusion of others.
Arguing in favor of any one approach, be it KISS or any other, can come
across as a power move. There *are* multiple definitions of "clause,"
and each is valid to the extent it works well within the approach that
defines it -- but we do need to pick one if we want to define a scope
and sequence, even loosely. We all have to realize we have emotional
investments in our own positions, and be willing to attempt to back off
from pushing too much.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think there's not *too* much
disagreement over claims like "this construction is different from that
one"; where the disagreement comes in is the terminology we attach to
the difference, and the explanations we propose for it. We have to deal
with terminology no matter what, but it's possible to adopt a more
agnostic approach to the explanations (and yes, I realize fully that
arguing for an agnostic approach is itself an approach, but I can't
think of any other way out of this particular Klein bottle). From the
standpoint of K12 grammar, it's enough that we recognize that
constructions *are* different, and that we have some handy terms to use.

It's possible that we could reach consensus on particular terms on the
basis of pedagogic utility. I'd argue that a three-way split of "phrase
vs. reduced clause vs. full clause" is handy in the classroom, since
students frequently don't want to lump "giving Athelfrith some lutfisk"
together with "a book." But I'd be willing to back down on that,
especially if a lot of other people disagreed with me. We just need an
organized way of resolving that kind of dispute, and (on an individual
basis) be willing to accept compromises. Optimally, the same basic
category terms would be used in 2nd and 11th grade, but with additional
recognized subcategories at the higher grade levels.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University