ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:08:58 -0500
Bruce,
    There are many ways to begin a response to your questions.  A full
answer would take a book. But here's a quick reaction.
    It doesn't make any sense at all to 'correct" or polish a sentence
that doesn't belong in the paper. So higher order questions need to be
resolved first.  We cut something because it doesn't fit and add
what's missing. (We have to cut good sentences and keep awkward ones
if the purpose requires it.) We arrange and rearrange in relation to
our evolving sense of purpose. If we don't expect to change our
thinking, we are not acting like writers act. (Writers testify to
this.  Writing is DISCOVERY, and writing is REVISION because a
deepening of understanding pushes us to make accomodations in the
text.) This includes a sense of audience, perhaps responses from
helpful readers. It may mean a deepening understanding of the subject.
It may mean a re-examination of our own motives and interests. Maybe
the main difference between good and not so good writers is that the
not so good tend to abandon a text much too quickly. A good writer
expects writing to change as it's pushed toward higher goals.
    A terrible text can't be saved by corrections. It needs to be revised,
not "corrected."
    If we understand grammatical choices to be deeply connected to nuances
of meaning, then a focus on meaning and a focus on grammar are not at
all at odds.  >
    In an effective text, sentences work in harmony with other sentences
in carrying out higher order purposes.
    Sentences are not complete thoughts.  They can't be treated as though
they don't belong to a text. They are moves in a series of related
moves. They are not ends in themselves.
    Writing teachers have a problem with grammar precisely because the
grammar they are used to doesn't seem to have anything to do with
these higher order concerns. Our job is to convince them that it's not
grammar that's trivial, but their understanding of it.
    Converesly, an overemphasis on correctness trivializes writing.
    The book version would show how this works out in practice.

Craig
Did anyone notice the grammatical errors in the excerpt I sent yesterday?