ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
"Bauschek, Eve P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:28:07 -0500
So true!  Thank you, Paul Doniger!!

Regards,

Eve Bauschek

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul E. Doniger [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 8:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: civility in times of crisis

To my fellow educators,

Perhaps it is foolish of me to make this request, but some of the recent
exchanges over the tragedy have become too mean spirited and uncivil to
ignore. We are supposed to be representatives of a community of critical
thinkers. We are supposed to be more sensitive than most to the power of
words. We are supposed to know that once something is said, it is
difficult
to make it un-said. We are supposed to be mindful of the value of
diversity -- not only of ethnicity, but also of thought.

Why can't we also be civil in our differences? Why can't we agree, even
in
times of upheaval, to treat one another with simple common decency?

I implore everyone not to increase the anger and rage that many of us
are
feeling over the events of last Tuesday and their aftermath. If we
cannot
respond to these events with clear heads and clean tongues, then perhaps
it
would be best that we don't respond at all. Let's be representatives of
kindness even when there seem to be no other such representatives.

If need be, count to ten before commenting on the tragedy. Count very
slowly. Let's not descend to a level of discourse that seems hardly
better
than the thoughts of those who angered us in the first place by their
insane
actions last week.

Paul E. Doniger