ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Ed Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:49:20 -0400
I agree in part with several of the other responses, and I myself see
"manufactures" far too often from my students. I don't have as many contacts with
K-12 teachers as I would like, but those I have suggested that the mistake may be
the result of a deemphasis on (in some cases a total lack of) instruction in basic
prefixes and suffixes. Apparently, many students are no longer being taught that
"-er" means "one who." Lacking this sense of meaning, the students simply go with
the sound of the word.
Ed V.