ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:08:52 -0400
Phil,
   I have no problem with the notion that noun is more general than
"thing". And I could also accept the notion that nounness is an
abstract quality inherent in all entities. This is, of course, a long
way away from the person, place, and thing definition we are trying to
replace. Does that mean that nominalization makes something an entity?
When I talk, for example, about "the intonation group not formed by
restrictive postnominal modifiers," am I in fact recognizing an entity
that could be there, but is not? If we decided to give that missing
entity a name, would we be creating language? Is it just the noun, or
the whole noun phrase, that designates an entity? What do we do with
clauses that act in noun roles? Are they entities as well? I think we
would both say "yes" to all, but that means we understand the range of
the concept by thinking of all that it applies to.
   Where we differ, I think, might be in the way we allow that culture has
a role in the creation of these entities. "Democracy", for example,
would not be in the world without people and is capable of disappearing
from our cultural life if we are not careful. It probably means
different things to different people, and what it means is something
worth caring deeply about. It's an "entity" that language supports and
sustains. I don't think my children will be honest if I don't use the
word "honest" with them and try to shape their understanding of it over
time. It is not a simple entity at all, and I have to admit that my own
understanding of it is subject to change.
   I remember laughing at an HBO sitcom when two "survivors" came to the
same dinner party--one from the holocaust, the other from the TV show
"Survivor"--and argued about who had suffered the most. The end result,
of course, is that the TV show "survivor" was comically vain and
trivial. The holocaust survivor was deeply frustrated that his frame of
reference was not at all understood. He didn't have the words for it.
Certainly the concept "survivor" was culturally changed by the
holocaust, and that cultural understanding is endangered when the
cultural references are lost (no longer shared).
   I think we have much to gain by recognizing that language is not just a
neutral conveyor of meaning. Nouns don't just name things that are
clearly concrete and there is nothing like a simple one to one
relationship between words and "things".  Even a word like
"traditional" in a frame like "grammar" is proving so hard to pin down.
We have to decide what we mean by it before we can take a position.
When we do, we may be creating/recognizing an entity that wouldn't
exist any other way. And that entity will exist within our shared
understanding. We may need to promote it before it can move out into
the wider world.

Craig

It simply doesn't matter that a word can be used as two parts of speech.