ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:32:36 +1000
Why does 'innate knowledge' persist? Chomsky himself never did deliver on
it. (Remember the Putnam and Goodman arguments?) Perhaps what we mean,
speaking as pedagogues, when we talk of children coming to us `hardwired'
with grammar, is that once articulate, children have an estimable ability to
perform linguistically. But `performance' is not the same as `competence'.
For instance, the child who says `Where are yous going?' to a group is not
competent in the way that the child who says `Where are you going?' is
competent.

The difference between the two children's linguistic performance is
explainable in terms of grammar: though both are performance capable, one is
competent either as a matter of luck (he had good exemplars for his copyist
behaviour when he learned to speak) or as a consequence of his instruction
in grammar. (Instruction in grammar will certainly help the child who is
hardwired to say `Where are yous going?)

Sophie