ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
James Bear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:25:38 -0500
I video-tape all the time.  Something I do often in my English courses
after reading a text is have them perform a skit based on a portion of
the text.  I video-tape it and then they use an evaluation form I have
created and have them assess it based on the evaluation form.

It might be different in an ESL class, however, especially if you are
looking at the language they are using and finding problems or anomalies
in it..  However, I believe if the student can see the benefit they will
respond well.  This could be related to my use of student papers.  I
take student papers and project them onto a screen.  As a class, we look
for problems in the paper.  At first, students might be embarrassed, but
as a general rule they want their papers on the screen so they can see
how they can improve.

--

James Sebastian Bear
Montpelier Public School