ATEG Archives

October 1997

From:
Bob Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 08:40:11 CDT
On Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:33:52 -0700 Johanna Rubba said:
>I have a question for Bob: What's the rationale for children being able to
>_identify_ (that is, label) constructions that they use? Is it an aid to
>help them in talking about their writing, or is such knowledge supposed to
>help them use a wider variety of constructions?

These guidelines are meant for teachers and I was really suggesting that
teachers need to be relatively proficient in labelling forms and functions
in a sentence.  Among other reasons, teachers need to have a language to
talk about what is and isn't standard and for assessing student writing.

If we take process writing seriously, then I think the ability to talk about
the grammatical choices a writer has in expressing ideas is important.  This
ability requires some metalinguistic knowledge.

I have no idea how students learn to use a variety of constructions.  My guess
is that such ability comes from reading a great deal of different kinds of
materials and practicing.

Bob Yates, [log in to unmask], Central Missouri State University