ATEG Archives

January 2007

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:50:00 -0500
Craig et al.,

Johanna's use of "affect" as a noun points out a particularly important
point about this usage: whereas "effect" as a verb is simply
low-frequency, or perhaps trending toward archaic, "affect" as a noun is
field-specific. The noun "affect," to my knowledge, is used in
psychology, drama, and (I assume) voice/video journalism, but that's
about it (and it's pronounced with stress on the first syllable).

As a more general pedagogic note, I think we need to introduce students
fairly early on to the idea that particular disciplines (or social
groups, etc.) develop their own usages of words, and that asking what a
word "means" sometimes involves asking "to whom?" along with it. After
seeing a biology major's bout of confusion in my linguistics course
years ago, I now know to point out explicitly that when a linguist uses
the term "morphology," it does not have the same meaning that the term
has in biology (to a biologist, it would make sense to use "morphology"
for sentence structure and syllable structure as well as what linguists
use it for, word structure).

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University