ATEG Archives

September 2007

Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:53:21 -0400
There is, indeed, a rigid set of correct usages in informal contexts that
will vary somewhat according to regional dialect.  As a DEEP SOUTH native,
I often crack up when I read pseudo-southern dialect written by a non-native
of the South.  I deliberately would make the precise distinction to which
you referred in your "was married" vs. "have been married."  One British
professor was astounded when I explained difference between "I've got to go"
= I must go; "I've gotten to go" = I have taken advantage of an opportunity.
One lady told me that the grandkids had gotten to go to Disney so often that
she did not feel that she had got to go there each time that they came.

As far as the disconnect that you mention, it will exist until some
Department head has the knowledge and the guts to require prospective
English teachers to have a solid advanced course in English grammar--not
the PC Mickey Mouse classes that dilute the subject by throwing in a kitchen
sink of levels of usage, variety of dialects, etc.  Although my taste runs
to Pence and Emery, any reference grammar should suffice as a text so long
as it does cover all the bases.  The extraneous subjects that I mention have
their place--but not in a one-semester English grammar course.

Scott Catledge