ATEG Archives

October 1997

From:
BILL MURDICK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:30:47 -0400
My instincts see "look like" in its two senses as a verb-particle
idiom functioning as a linking verb. As for Martha Kolln's sentence,
"wild" strikes me as adverbial, since the flowers themselves may be
prim, but the unfettered growing is wild.

It is easy to find examples of modifiers seeming to modify both
the subject noun and the verb. My grammar and usage students use
ENGLISH FUNDAMENTALS, 10th ed., as their source for traditional
grammar. We were only three sentences into examining the roles of subordinate
clauses (pg 339) when we hit this sentence:

        (1) The scenery collapsed at the moment when Gene stepped out
           from the wings.

Collapsed when? Or moment when? Adverb, or adjective clause? Probably
and adverbial prepositional phrase containing time elements, but it is easy
to see how subordinate elements can be ambiguous in their constituency.
For example:

        (2) Walking home, John found a dollar.

        I find it just as easy to see the initial phrase as describing
John as describing the conditions under which he found something. In fact,
traditional grammar, I believe, accepts the reduced clause, "Walking home,"
as an adjective, but sees the fully realized clause, "As he was walking
home," as an adverb.
        Perhaps both are better understood as "sentence modifiers" or
"absolute" constructions that don't clearly participate in the grammar
of the sentence except to remark on the whole.
        --Bill Murdick