ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 08:19:17 -0400
I am a newcomer to this list, so bear with me if this topic has been
discussed recently.

The topic of who/whom reminds me of discussions I've had about with
colleagues about that and which.

I distinguish between the two: that opens essential clauses and which
opens nonessential clauses.

But I notice that which is very often used to open essential clauses.

Am I wrong?  Is its use changing so that it is no longer used for only
nonessential clauses?

Perhaps I am sliding into hypercorrection on this point.

Help!

Christine Gray