ATEG Archives

December 2014

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:10:30 -0800
Scott,

Yours is an excellent example of what the split infinitive offers us as writers.  English is not Latin, nor is it German.  It is a popular language that has evolved to serve the purpose of precise communication.  "To" suggests intention.  If your intention is to boldly split the infinitive rather than to split the infinitive and do so in a bold manner, then you should be permitted to state it that way.

Thanks for your bold example,

Gregg