ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:36:50 -0400
Craig, Bruce, et al.:

Again, I'm not arguing for using the traditional, broad sense of
"tense." I just think we should openly acknowledge that we don't "own"
the word itself, and that our specialized use of it is a kind of
lesser-of-multiple-evils kludge.

I was partly reacting to Bruce's use of the word "literally" in his
initial post (although I don't think he meant it this way, it can
*imply* that there is a "true" definition of tense, and that other
definitions are false in some kind of substantive way). Definitions
aren't true or false in the normal sense; they're a kind of assertion
that a potential audience either accepts or doesn't.  If different
speech communities use different definitions, there's no way to say only
one of those definitions is "true." Attempting to do so is equivalent to
saying, "my speech community matters, but yours doesn't." That doesn't,
of course, entail that we can't ask students to use words with their
accepted meanings, even if they're discipline-specific accepted meanings
(as long as the context *is* that discipline). We just can't confuse
"accepted" with "true." Conventions aren't true or false.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University