ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:23:32 -0500
Craig,

A little more on sequence of tenses.  H&P refer to this as
"backshifting," since it normally involves changing a direct speech
present to a reported speech past, but they note that backshifting is
frequently a choice, not a rule.  They list several factors governing
the choice (pp. 157-8), of which I list two below.

a.  Reporter's attitude to the content

If I endorse or accept the original, this will somewhat favour the
deictic present version, and conversely if I recect it this will favour
backshift:

[28] i She said she doesn't need it, so I'll let Bill have it.
    ii She said there was plenty left, but there's hardly any.

b.  Indication of deictic future

[29] i She said she was leaving at the weekend.
    ii She said she's leaving at the weekend.

In ii it has to be the upcoming weekend.  In i, which weekend isn't
clear.

There are a couple of other conditions as well, but the point is that
the sequence of tenses phenomenon is not a simple rule-governed process;
it is influenced by pragmatic and attitudinal information.

Herb