ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:21:19 -0500
Dear Christine:

In answer to your question, if you insist on THAT (given the that/which
choice) as the only correct pronoun for restrictive clauses then, yes, you
have indeed slid into hypercorrection.  I think that if you started
counting the uses of WHICH for those essential clauses in public writing
(even on this listserv), you'd find that they outnumber THAT.

I prefer the rhythm of THAT; it sounds smoother to me, so I'm a bit of a
stickler in my own writing.  It's easy to figure out which one is called
for, however; if you can substitute THAT for the WHICH that you've written,
then leave out the commas (even if you retain the WHICH).

But you should also read Brock Haussamen's discussion of this issue in the
second edition of Revising the Rules.  He discusses an in-between kind of
clause amplifying the noun rather than defining it.  "Amplifying clauses
explain, expand, explicate" (p. 95)  The amplifying clause is not set off
by commas, yet it's also not what we would call restrictive.  Here are some
student examples from his discussion, where the clause amplifies the
prenoun modifer:

        The main character was a rich, egotistic young man who seemed to
think of himself as better than those around him.

        We often have to find forgiving employers who will allow us to work
unusual schedules so that we can meet our nursing obligations.  I have a
strict schedule that does not allow many deviations.

Brock also quotes the following example from Quirk et al (p. 1257)"

        All this I gave up for the mother who needed me.

And this one from the New York Times:

        How fitting, then, that the Nobel Prize in Literature comes to Ms.
Gordimer as her country begins to dismantle the system that she has opposed
with such urgency.

Here's Brock's conclusion to this discussion:

"But if we wish to continue classifying clauses using anything like the
present categories, we should add a middle category-the amplifying
clause-if the schema is to be reasonably precise.  And I think, while we
are at it, we could improve the nomenclature by dropping the distracting
name nonrestrictive and replacing it with supplemental.  The third category
would remain the restrictive clause, defined as we define it now" (96).

Revising the Rules: Traditional Grammar and Modern Linguistics is published
by Kendall/Hunt.  In it he discusses the history of the prescriptive rules
that fill our grammar books.  Every teacher should read it!

Martha Kolln