ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 09:42:54 -0500
   Martha and I also give an overview of this in a Dec. 2005 co-authored
article in English Teaching: Practice and Critique. ("The Story of
English Grammar in United States Schools") The issue is available for
free online. Just google the journal title. That whole issue was
devoted to articles reacting to-- Hudson, R., & Walmsley, J. (2005).
The English patient: English grammar and teaching in the twentieth
century, Journal of Linguistics, 41 (3), 593-622--looking at why
there's such a gap between linguistics and English teaching in England.
 Check out Debra Myhill's article while you're there. "Ways of Knowing:
Writing with Grammar in Mind" English Teaching: Practice and Critique
December, 2005, volume 4, number 3   pp. 77-96

   Martha and I are rewritting our article by invitation for an anthology
of international articles that should be out later in the year.
(Rutledge.)

   I also recommend MacDonald, Susan Peck. (2007). The Erasure of
Language. College Composition and Communication. 58 (4), 585-625.

   I sometimes summarize the findings this way. Only very controlled
studies were deemed acceptable. All were short-term, in part for that
reason. Typically, Some students were taught grammar, others were asked
to practice writing, and both were scored on holistically assessed
writing samples at the end. Since the students who practiced writing
wrote better than the students who studied grammar, it was deemed
unproductive to teach grammar. The Braddock study went even farther by
saying it may be "harmful" to teach grammar because it pulls students
away from more productive activity.
   There's no way to call judgements like this conclusive. (Silly comes to
mind for me, but I see it through a different lens.)
   It's interesting that the people who say we shouldn't teach grammar
aren't ready to say that students shouldn't write "correctly", so
current practice is to do so "in the context of writing" with as little
metalanguage as possible. (Knowledge about language is not a goal.)
They begin to build the necessary knowledge from that end, at least in
theory, but it's not very systematic.

   Here are a few useful quotes from Myhill:

The rejection of decontextualised, and with it by implication,
prescriptive, grammar teaching was rooted in insightful critique of what
was happening in  English classrooms.  In contrast, the “grammar in
context” principle is both less sharply critiqued and considerably less
clearly conceptualised.  There has been little genuine discussion or
consideration of what “in context” means.  Frequently, observations of
classroom practice indicate that the notion of “in context” means little
more than grammar teaching which is slotted into English lessons, where
the focus is not grammar, but some other feature of English learning.
(82)

There is also a danger of psuedo-contextualisation, where separate,
discreet grammar lessons are replaced by “mini” grammar lessons in the
midst of something else. (82)

What would be so much more interesting,  and valuable, would be to explore
in more subtly nuanced detail what research can tell us about what aspects
of grammar and knowledge about language are most relevant to writing,
whether direct teaching of these features can help children improve their
writing, and what teaching strategies are most successful in enabling this
to happen. (80)

Craig

Martha briefly critiques the Harris and Elley studies and the Braddock and