ATEG Archives

June 2006

From:
Ben Varner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 06:42:06 -0600
Hi, Anne--

The list is a combination of my own "rules" heard from
my students and some from the following website:

http://www.comerfordconsulting.com/grammartest.html

I am sure there are others which we could add. Craig Hancock,
Herb Stahlke, and Richard Veit have already done so.

The elementary school teachers whom I am working with
this summer were astounded by the list because most of
the "rules" are what they themselves believed and taught.

Peter Adams' analogy that these so-called rules are
like "training wheels" hit a resonant chord with the
teachers.  The question discussed among them next was
"When do we take the wheels off?"

         Ben Varner
University of Northern Colorado