ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:30:07 -0500
Brock,
That's also a good example of an instance when the simple past tense definitely means something very different from the present perfect ("I lived here for 5 years" means you don't live here anymore, though your example below means you're still hanging in here).

I don't believe most examples of the perfect are much different content-wise from past tense, so yours is a great example for students to understand that the perfect is sometimes essential.

larry

>>> "Haussamen, Brock" <[log in to unmask]> - 4/3/01 10:59 AM >>>
Gretchen,
    An example of the present perfect tense that is clearly not "completed":

                I have lived here for five years.

A speaker might use the progressive--I have been living here for five
years--but not necessarily.

Brock