ATEG Archives

November 2000

From:
"Haussamen, Brock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:32:57 -0500
I agree that grammar--formal grammar as a component of education--is
political, because the standardizing of language is an aspect of social
power.  But I'm bad at politics.  A popular perception of the last two
decades is that traditional grammar has been elitist, contrary to cultural
diversity, etc., and I can understand that complex perception/misperception.
But what would be the reactionary political agenda behind the abolition of
grammar?

Brock Haussamen