ATEG Archives

January 2007

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:13:12 -0600
>While "C" seems fine to me, I don't understand why "B" is deficient.

Actually, they're all deficient!  As in most of these idiotic tests, the
real answer is "none of the above."

I suppose that "c" does provide a modicum of parallelism by creating a
prepositional phrase (the "effectiveness of what") that weakly parallels
"educational quality".  However, the construction is still out of whack
(technical term there!).  It would seem more effective to simplify the
sentence. In addition, although passive verbs are not automatically wrong,
this one is certainly suspect.  How about, "She improved the quality and
effectiveness of the college during her presidency."?  This is still much
too vague for my tastes, but it does solve a variety of the problems.

Geoff Layton

The correct answer is given as "C."    My daughter's workbook
>notes that "B" is not parallel; however, I thought that in seeking to
>determine whether parallel structure exists in a sentence, one need not pay
>attention to items that modify the elements that are equal in placement,
>importance and/or function.  Thus, regarding choice "B," I don't think that
>it matters that "its educational" modifies "quality," but that
>"effectiveness" has no modifier.  Thank you for your help.
>
>Many changes occurred while she was president of the college, and they
>increased its educational quality as well as effectiveness.
>
>A)  college, and they increased its educational quality as well as
>effectiveness
>B)  college; these changes increased its educational quality and
>effectiveness
>C)  college; these changes increased both the educational quality and
>effectiveness of the college
>
>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
>at:
>and select "Join or leave the list"

Get Hilary Duff’s homepage with her photos, music, and more.
http://www.live.com/?addtemplate=hilary&ocid=T001MSN30A0701