ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:51:13 -0400
I had never heard the terms “finite” and “nonfinite clauses,” so I looked
them up. The examples I found actually look like infinitive and participle
*phrases* to me, not clauses at all.

Is this just another instance where we get tangled up in terminology upon
which we can’t agree on the definition?

Here is what I read:

*********************
"Non-finite clauses are built around verbs that do not have tense or
modality--verbs that are not sentence verb phrases.  These are clauses with
(1) infinitives and (2) participles (both -ed and -ing).

Infinitive Clause: 1. He wondered why he had forsaken physics *to study
human culture in the first place*.

Present Participle Clause: 2.*Entering the world of the Yanomamo*, the
anthropologist experienced culture shock.

Past Participle Clause: 3. *Confused by the differences between his culture
and theirs*, he wanted to flee and return home.

As always, I'm looking forward to being humbled and to learning something
new . . .

Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD
Professor of English
Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program
Columbia College
Columbia, South Carolina
803-786-3706