ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
Omarjohns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:06:16 +0300
Hello Bruce,

BD> larry,

BD> In those I've checked there is nothing I can find mentioning such
BD> a word as "irrealis." Perhaps it just came spontaneously out of
BD> the recesses of my mind in response to "give me a latinate word
BD> for the unreal."

I understood it "spontaneously", not being much of a Latin scholar.

Here is it at :

http://www.sil.org/linguistics/glossary/

irrealis modality

Definition

Irrealis modality is a modality that connotes that the proposition
with which it is associated is nonactual or nonfactual.

And:

http://www.unm.edu/~jbybee/mechanis.htm

Joan Bybee at the University of New Mexico will keep you busy with
"An essay on irrealis as a grammatical category" at her very
attractively designed web site with a dash of Southwest.

Alta Vista turned up 1399 hits for irrealis so quite a few people out
there seem to be suffering from spontaneous grammatical term
generation syndrom (SOGTEGS).

Omar