ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Jean Waldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:49:15 -0500
3/17/06

Herb,

Hey.   It's green day.   Top o' the morning.

I am curious about Northern American English and American Network English.
Are these some sort of standardized dialects?  Is the latter supposed to be
the form used by news announcers on national TV?

Next question:  If this is the case, are you saying that the language used
by news announcers does not normally reduce final unstressed syllables to
schwa?  That they reduce either to  /i/ as in "party", or /o/ as in "photo".

As someone who grew up in Missouri, and even in my first linguistics class
at the U of Maryland, I thought final unstressed syllables reduced to /i/ or
to schwa as in "Alaska."  I thought words like "photo" were marked.

This explains why people say to me "Do you say Missouree or Missourah?"  I
still find the question confusing, but your explanation is good.

Thanks,   Jean Waldman