ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 10:31:03 -0700
I think grammar teaching went away for a couple of reasons. The
movement towards "relevance" in education in the '60's and 70's very
correctly pointed out that grammar was being taught in such a way as to
alienate students. Instead of reforming the curriculum by examining,
for instance, linguistic stylistics, it was just dumped. I would guess
that most English teachers become English teachers because they love
literature; I guess many don't have the analytic bent that
grammar-lovers have. I also suppose a lot of them found grammar as then
taught as awful as the students did.

The study(ies?) that claimed to prove harm from grammar instruction
provided exactly what people were looking for to justify dumping
grammar teaching. The Whole Language movement sealed the deal.

Many states have brought back grammar requirements in the K-12 learning
standards. Large numbers of teachers are not prepared to teach the
material, of course. And, sadly, it is mostly the same program as
before the Great Dump. That's what got me into this group.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374