ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
Audra M Himes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 22:08:05 -0400
I had a colleague just four or five years ago who used that exact
"limiters" approach with developmental first-year writers, while I took a
holistic approach favoring higher-order concerns.  Still, I had weekly
"Grammar Help" open-floor time when students brought their questions about
surface errors.  I taught grammar/punctuation/spelling, and they wanted to
have the mysteries illuminated...Yet me colleague got cleaner copy, so
students didn't apply all of that learning until graded on it.  And not
leniently.

I'm new to the list, by the way, so let me introduce myself:  I'm Audra,
adjunct at U of Maryland.  Some colleagues there put me on to ATEG, and my
goal is to present a paper this summer with you.

My PhD is in late Victorian literature, but I am always teaching writing.
Recently, I was accused of being shockingly pedantic for my deep dislike
of the misused verb "quotes" for the noun "quotations."  I copped to the
accusation--fair enough. Not "pedantic," though: "exact."

Looking forward to meeting all of you, both virtually and actually!

Best,
Audra H