ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
Bob Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:03:28 -0500
In 1917 when the US declared war on Germany, the speaking of German in public and
the teaching of German stopped over night.  I live in a part of the US which were
bilingual communities before 1917.  Now, only the oldest members of that community
retain any German of their parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents.

Immediately after December 7, 1941, Japanese-American were rounded up and sent off
to camps for the duration of the war.

The New York Time's today is reporting two people dead who seemed to be Muslim.

Given this history and the need to be united,  I think it is incumbent upon all of
us remain civil in how we think about the awful events of September 11.  Let me
respectively submit that the following does not help anyone:

Robert Einarsson wrote:

> I do not forfeit the right to speak disrespectfully.  I do not care
> about people's feelings.

> Civility means nothing whatsoever to me in comparison to the
> attack on the WTC and the feelings and concerns which I have to
> express upon it.

Fortunately, we live in a part of the world in which this is still the case.
However, let me share with everyone the following scream by Ann Coulter, one of the
shrillest critics of Bill Clinton, in her column about Barbara Olson, a passenger
on the plane that hit the Pentagon.

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and
convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about
locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We
carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war.
And this is war.

I am appalled that someone who regularly appears on American television and who
writes for one of the  respected journals of political opinion is not ashamed to
share such inflammatory ideas with the rest of the world.  Go here for the entire
column: http://www.nationalreview.com/coulter/coulter091301.shtml

The people who planned and committed those horrendous acts on September 11th win if
no one speaks out against the incivility of Ann Coulter's cry for extermination.

Bob Yates