ATEG Archives

February 1998

From:
Kathryn Gunderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 20:38:25 -0800
A quick response--I used to do tree diagrams in my
jr. level grammar course, and while I and the students
 really liked the "drawing," I found that many students
had a really tough time making the jump from teeny weeny
pieces of sentences to seeing bigger and bigger chunks
of the sentence and seeing how those chunks functioned.

So I jettisoned the trees and initial "naming of the
parts" and started first to focus on how students know
which pieces belong together, and why, and then on how
these pieces relate to each other in specific ways in
the sentence.  We ease into grammar terminology on a
"need-to-know" or "we really WANT to know" basis.

I don't that I have the right answer with this, but
students who took me in the tree phase and failed or
bailed came back later and told me how much better I'm
teaching now--and how much better they're understanding,
now that they're not bogged down in those fun trees.

Kathryn Gunderson
Department of English
California State University, Hayward
Hayward, CA  94542