ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Patricia Lafayllve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 08:27:02 -0500
Katharine wrote:

And to my ability to do my reading.  My joy in reading comes to a
jarring stop when I hit a sentence corrupted by poor grammar.  I've
quite more than one novel because the author can't control her
possessive pronouns and/or apostrophes.

Katharine in N.California (currently doing her best to teach
kindergarten children about nouns and verbs)

Agreed!  Unless it's "deliberately poor" grammar, as in the case of people
writing in dialects, bad grammar in a novel turns me off.  Run-on strings of
prepositional phrases make me personally nutty, too...

We digress, I think - but the point is that a solid grasp of grammar seems
to enhance one's reading and writing abilities.

-patty