ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:31:25 -0400
Scott:

A number of linguistic theories define a phrase as (roughly) "a word and any additional words that go with it" -- a single word can indeed be a phrase in those theories. I'm not saying your stance on phrases is "wrong" (definitional issues can rarely be resolved on the basis of empiricism or even logic; try telling a speaker of British English that biscuits should never be crunchy), but you'll find people disagreeing with your conclusion because they don't share one of your premises.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University