ATEG Archives

August 2000

From:
Carolyn Hartnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:51:04 -0400
Joanna raises in interesting but complex question.
An alternative to Pincker's book is Pathways of the Brain: The
Neurocognitive Basis of Language by the stratificational linguist, Sydney
Lamb (Benjamins, 1999).
His physiology is based on the view of the brain of the Nobel
neuroscientist Gerald Edelman.  He credits some of his linguistic ideas to
Michael Hallliday, and others are his own.  His grammatical explanations
are admittedly speculative but sometimes very specific.

Lamb and Edelman consider the computer model insufficient because it cannot
account for human characteristics like individual experiences and emotions
that affect language.  They explain how biology is responsible and adequate
because of the immense number of neurons in the brain.

I found these books difficult reading but struggled with them because I had
agreed to review Lamb's book for the International Systemic Functional
Congress in July.  Afterwards, I was asked to polish my review for
publication in the journal Functions of Language.  If anyone would like to
see it, please ask.  Snail mail would probably be best because of the
diagrams.

Carolyn Hartnett

Phone and fax: 409-948-1446

2027 Bay Street