ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Gerald Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:39:39 -0600
Re get+passive

I once did a fairly extensive survey of elementary school students
while working on a study of the use of passive voice. I would ask
"What happened to the ___?" in an effort to elicit the passive voice.
In one case I showed them a picture of a batter who had just hit a
baseball.  When I asked "What happened to the ball?", about half of
the time the students responded "It got hit." (For very young
students many responded with the active "The man hit it.")
Gerald