ATEG Archives

September 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:16:26 -0400
    Once we recognize that certain dialect errors are more heavily
stigmatized, we can recognize the catch-22 nature of the problem.  If we
feel our job is to get students ready to be successful, we may emphasize
the same errors, which further stigmatizes them and distracts attention
from more sophisticated (purposeful) aspects of writing.  If we don't,
we are setting them up for failure on the basis of these errors. Either
way, we are reinforcing their exclusion from mainstream culture.
    The business people survive.  The English teachers survive.  The
poor students suffer. We have to step back from the circle in order to
avoid the trap. We can give the students a realistic assessment and
reasonable understanding of the unreasonable obstacles in their path and
then do our best to remove the obstacles. It means working
simultaneously on two fronts, not choosing one over the other. It may
seem as though we are flip-flopping (as complexity is labeled these
days), but we are simply addressing two different aspects of a single
problem: individual empowerment and social change.

Craig