ATEG Archives

November 2001

From:
Judy Diamondstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:46:11 -0500
I'll shut up after this! I just want to clarify my last quite unclear
message.  What I was trying to suggest was that there are (at least) 2
dimensions of "windows" into language -- one is "up" and "down":

context semantics       lexis/grammar   "below" lexis/grammar

and the other is sideways -- in Bill's terms, for instance:
                 rhetorical aim rhetorical mode arts/ media

and what is tricky, when you bring "discourse" into questions of grammar, is
how we can look sideways through all the different windows while we focus on
the level of grammar.

Hope that is somewhat more clear.

Judy