ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
"Myers, Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2011 23:55:26 +0000
ATEG Members Commenting on Mitch McConnell,

Unfortunately, Mitch is one of the senators from my state. Rand Paul, a Tea Party member, is the other. I can scarcely imagine how sorry you are that you don't live in Kentucky so that these two could be your senators, too!

Mitch is the consummate politician. He is Minority Leader because he worked hard at raising money for other senatorial campaigns. When the time came to pick a minority leader, he reminded fellow Republican senators what he had done for them, and called in all those political IOU's.

Somehow, a delegation of Armenians living in California invited him to speak. He obliged, they gave him money, and now Mitch is Armenia's greatest friend, at every occasion funneling all manner of help for the Armenians.

Mitch is also a master at saying something is true when it is only partly true. He, like other Republicans, said that any bill from the Obama administration designed to get us out of this financial mess with the federal debt should not "raise taxes," playing on the fear, unjustly in my mind, that all Democrats always want to raise taxes.

He thus communicated to his constituents that the Obama administration had planned to raise taxes, presumably on everyone. But the "raise taxes" structure needed an important prepositional phrase to really communicate what the truth was--"raise taxes on the rich," with 98% of Americans seeing no tax increase under the Obama proposal. When asked on a Sunday morning news program why shouldn't the rich carry some of the financial burden of bringing down the deficit, his answer was-"The rich already are paying their fair share," and offered no support to back up that assertion.

At the same time, he and his office are very good at doing minor things that continue to get him elected. Our international students often need help with visas and other matters. He does do a good job of handling these kinds of problems. So Mitch comes out as the man the people can count on when they have a problem.

Marshall