ATEG Archives

May 1999

From:
Wanda VanGoor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 10:35:34 +0000
On Sat, 29 May 1999, Nehal EL Kashef wrote:

> I am trying to locate any articles about the above mentioned subject but could not
> find but quizzes, is there anybody who can help me with my research..
>
> Nehal

I'm not sure how you understand "phrasal verbs."  If you mean two or more
word verbs (NOT helping verb, main verb combinations), almost any handbook
will give you many examples.  The latest edition of the Bedford Handbook
(Hacker) lists 80 or more of them in section 29; Greenbaum and Quirk's
Grammar of the English language deals with them in more detail in section 16.

The additional words in such verbs are usually referred to as "particles"
and are often prepositions.

Hope that's some help.