ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
James Bear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:04:37 -0500
A list-serv is an interesting thing.  I have created several and belong
to several.  Unfortunately, in order for a list-serv to be successful,
you need to have people who have enough time to spend posting to
list-servs and you need to have people who are arrogant enough to think
that what they have to say is valuable for consideration.  English, it
seems, is subjective enough that even those extraordinarily arrogant are
not overly confident about their positions and so become defensive.  And
the mood is decidedly negative.

I joined this list a couple of years ago upon the advice of a former
professor.  And I enjoy reading the posts.  But because of what you
mention, I did start another list.  This list was directed at high
school English teachers in North Dakota.  But, high school English
teachers tend to lack both of the above-mentioned criteria to make a
list successful.  So, while the mood is never negative, I don't think
there's been a post since last April.

If anybody would like to join my list, I would be glad to add you.  But,
as I said, it has been unsuccessful and will probably remain so until we
get a large quantity of people who have the above attributes.  And then,
I suppose, it would end up the same type of list as this.  Just send me
an e-mail... [log in to unmask]

Computer Science, though...  those are nice list servs.

--
James Bear
Montpelier Public School