ATEG Archives

November 2007

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:39:21 -0500
I would add one small point to your post, Craig. I believe that whether or not grammar instruction translates into better reading and writing (and I believe it does), it must surely translate into better thinking.

When one begins to understand how we connect ideas (phrases, clauses) to one another to make meaning, then one becomes more deliberate in one's own efforts to communicate. When we learn that in a sentence one idea may be subordinated to another and that where we place certain phrases can either direct or mislead a reader about our intended meaning, then is it possible *not* to be a better thinker? And doesn't our ability to think more clearly and precisely *have* to affect the clarity of our communication?

I believe that it does, but I am still struggling with how to prove it.

Nancy