ATEG Archives

April 1999

From:
pdykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:27:02 -0500
Hi Susan,

I teach basic writing at a community college.  One of the reasons basic
writers have difficulty writing, and reading, complicated sentence
structures is because they don't know how sentences work.  The strategy I
use is to first present the basic sentence (what I call the core sentence),
consisting of a subject and predicate.  Then, students learn how to add
additions to that core sentence structure: relative clauses, "definition
additions," "-ing additions," "-ed additions." Students recognize through
the examples gleaned from literature and through a series of exercises,
including sentence combining,  that these groups of words are additions to a
core sentence.  That sounds simplistic, but students understand it.  As they
practice these sentence patterns, they learn to use commas to set off
introductory words and words interrupting the flow of thought in a sentence.
In the process, students realize how commas signal meaning, and they
understand how to distinguish an addition from the core sentence.  The
section on writing with sentence variety ends with a chapter that calls
these additions "starters" and "interrupters."   Through this approach,
students understand how sentences work, and knowing this, they are able to
both write and read all kinds of complex sentences.  The strategy has worked
for me and is part of Rhythms of Writing, to be published by Houghton
Mifflin this August.

The research that informed this approach focused on two areas: the
differences between the structures of talking and writing, and how language
is processed and produced.  Basic writers talk and write in phrases and
clauses because that is how language is processed and produced.  I therefore
begin with what students already know, the phrases and clauses of talking
(thinking), and show them how those structures can be presented in writing.

So, to answer your concluding sentence: No, I do not think we can wait for
kids to mature so they develop these abilities on their own.  In fact, I
don't think they will develop them on their own, especially living in our
oral culture.  I believe students need guidance on understanding how the
structures of writing work.

Pam Dykstra

Pam Dykstra
South Suburban College