ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
Geoff Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:11:39 -0500
A few years ago, a stand-up comedian specialized in the line (pronounced
with a heavy Russian or East-European accent) "What a country!"

I would substitute - "What a language!"  As I tell my kids, the good news
is that you're speaking English, and the bad news is that you're speaking
English.  The recent posts on verb tenses, as well as the one just
preceding, made me realize all over again what a difficult, but gloriously
unpredictable this language of ours is.  I think that the group has shown
that no one really ever masters it.

Thanks for the good reading.

Geoff Layton