ATEG Archives

October 2012

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2012 23:15:12 +0000
Bill,
    Put me down as P3, VP0, but I don't teach K-12. It seems to me that sentence modifiers weren't thought of as sentence modifiers when I first learned grammar way back when. If it modifies the whole sentence, it doesn't make consistent sense to call it part of the predicate unless you somehow think of it as modifying the finite (the predicating element.) I guess SFL would say it's the "mood element" (both grammatical subject and finite) that are modified.

Craig