ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:54:01 -0800
It's important to remember that Whorf was theorizing about _habitual_
thought that is influenced by language. He thought that some
languages reflected the physical world better than others. For
instance, in English, "lightning" is a noun, and we don't even have
an exclusive verb for it, but physically, it's an event or process
much more than a thing. He obviously didn't think that we are
irrevocably stuck in patterns of thought because of our language,
because his very recommendation was that we use other languages for
physical descriptions of the world, hence he had to believe that we
could modify our thoughts to fit the language we are using.

The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis has been out of favor for a long time, but
numerous linguists are exploring it again and looking for some
empirical support for it. I have seen notices for conferences, for
example. I have not been following the developments, but it would be
interesting to see what is being discovered. I did review a paper for
Language which purported to show some Whorfian effect regarding
spatial orientation, which was a little more convincing than the work
on color, which has been discredited.

In Lakoff and Johnson's model of metaphorical thought, metaphor
precedes language -- that is, language reflects metaphorical thought;
it only creates it to the extent that particular metaphors are
propagated throughout a culture via its language. Some metaphors are
culture-specific, and some are (according to L & J) universal. Either
kind can influence how scientists analyze the world and how they
build models of it. Lakoff has a book (with a co-author) on the
metaphorical origins of mathematics, but I don't recall the title. A
cruise on his web page is likely to reveal it. L & J propose that
metaphor influences not only language, but behavior. For instance,
reifying time into units impels us to create things like hourly wages
and parking meters.

It's worth noting that L & J propose that we can change our thought
habits by adopting new metaphors, for instance "marriage is a
collaborative work of art" rather than traditional physical-bond
metaphors. Different metaphors can give a different spin on
phenomena, creating new linguistic metaphors and new habits of thought.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374