ATEG Archives

December 1998

From:
Ito kazumasa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:36:46 +0900
Hello listers,
  I have come across a very interesting (and confusing) question on the
Internet which goes as follows:

Are you fond of Mister Yngwie Malmsteen?
[] definitely
[] absolutely
[] yes really
[] of course yes

 You are supposed to check one of the above four answers. Now what puzzles
me is that Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English(1995) defines
DEFINITELY as "with no chance of being wrong, Certainly" and
OF COURSE as "Certainly". In addition, it gives no definition that shows a
difference in meaning between ABSOLUTELY and DEFINITELY.
  However, the above question clearly distinguishes these three adverbs.
Could someone please enlighten me on this problem? I'm utterly confused.
Thank you very much in advance.

Kazumasa Ito
Sapporo,Japan