ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:24:59 -0400
    The only reason" complete thought" was ever coined is to help
students avoid sentence fragments (which now show up in the work of many
fine writers.)  We use this misleading notion because we somehow believe
that students can't understand what we really want, at least one
independent clause within a sentence unit.  This requires, as Ed has
been pointing out, an understanding of the role of finite verbs and some
sense of subordination.  (Finite verbs are necessary, but not always
sufficient.)
    The problem with "complete thought" is that it purports to be about
the rhetoric of the sentence (and not a constraint on form.)
I combat the misinformation with the following, which has become my
FIRST way into grammar for my writing classes.

1)  A sentence is not a complete thought.  It is a move in a series of
related moves.
2)  Sentence boundaries are very flexible.
3)  Sentences vary widely in the amount of information they contain.
4)  Sentences vary widely in the way that information is organized.
5)  Sentences occur within the context of other sentences.
6)  Sentences occur within the context of a writer's evolving purposes.

Students have been encouraged not to repeat themselves.  Taken in tandem
with the "complete thought" notion, they believe their job is to present
fifty or sixty "complete thoughts" in a 1,000 word essay. (And they
often write that way, beginning with sentences that avoid getting to the
point in order to avoid running out of things to say.)  Effective
writers, on the other hand, tend to think in terms of  saying one (or a
few things) and using  the fifty or sixty sentences to carry that out.
 If you look closely at professional and student work--and I do exactly
that with my students, the most recent being a paragraph from Stephen
Crane's "The Open Boat"--you see an enormous carryover of meaning in the
best writing, including a willingness to reassert key ideas and keep the
same topic in focus over long stretches of text.  They tend to have more
longer sentences than a typical student writer, but more short sentences
as well.  They tend to put the most important information in key places,
especially at the end of intonation units and a the end of the clause.
 Student work can often be radically improved when viewed through this
more rhetorical lens. Believe it or not, they tend to buy into it, pay
attention, and put it to work.  The aim is in helping them achieve their
own purposes, offering them tools, helping them put their own language
to work.
   It would be nice to put complete thought forever to rest, but we
can't do so if we want to insist on eliminating fragments but are afraid
to develop a sufficient base of understanding for that to truly happen.
   If it feels like a "complete thought" to a student and feels like
that to a reader, are we willing to accept that?  Every time?

Craig