ATEG Archives

February 1998

From:
EDWARD VAVRA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:16:00 -0500
     I'm beginning to understand. You seem to be
saying that traditional grammar focuses on form and
that form will not help students distinguish function. I
agree, particularly with the latter.
     You asked "how do [I] have students identify the
main verb in the three sentences?" I rely on the fact
that their brains already know the language, including
the distinction between finite verbs and verbals. I give
them those lousy definitions, and a short list of words
that always function as finite verbs: is, are, was were.
They get this in the second floor of the  CASA
program, where they have to indentify not just verbs,
but S/V/C patterns. The computer immediately tells
them when they are right. The CASA program needs
further development, i.e., the work on S/V/C patterns is
not sufficient to elicit the "click" of understanding -- the
connection in their heads between the words "finite
verb" and what their heads understand as finite verbs.
So we do a couple of hand-outs which we review in
class. For most students who put in some effort, this
is sufficient for them to thereafter be able to recognize
finite verbs.
      There are a couple additional aids I give them, the
most important of which is to test the verb by seeing if
it makes sense as a sentence. In "Bob enjoys playing
on the computer," some students would want to make
"playing" the verb and "Bob" the subject. But the
sentence does not mean "Bob playing on the
computer." Hence, "playing" cannot be the finite verb.
(Unlike structural grammarians, we depend a LOT on
the meaning.)
     My approach, as I see it, focuses almost entirely on
function. If suggestions about form might help a
student or students, I would use them, but I can't see
wasting time on a formal discussion of the
"form/function" distinction. Grammarians and linguists
are right to be concerned with it, but for my students,
such a discussion simply adds more concepts that
they need to memorize. It seems to me that students
can use that time more wisely by attempting to
analyze more sentences in real texts.

>>> "James M. Dubinsky" <[log in to unmask]>
01/27/98 10:16pm >>>
This message was  originally submitted by
[log in to unmask]  to the
ATEG in reply to a posting  by Ed Vavra

>         So what is the "main verb" of the following
> sentences?
>
>         Bob is playing on the computer.
>         Bob enjoys playing on the computer.
>         Bob is happy playing on the computer.
>
> Playing is the most "action" word in all three, right?
>

> I guess I'm slow, but I don't understand the
> explanation.

I offered this example as an example that form is not a
consistent
way to talk about function and that the traditional
definition of a
verb leads to wrong results.

So, how do you have students identify the main verb in
the three
sentences?

Bob Yates, Central Missouri State University